If you plan on drinking on the 4th of July, keep the AAA Tipsy Tow or Tow To Go phone number handy. Avoid being a drunk driver and get a free tow and a ride home during the 2012 Fourth of July holiday. This year, this free service is only available in the areas listed below as it is no longer a nationwide service. Make sure you plan for a designated driver if you drink too much on Independence Day so AAA Tipsy Tow can service those who don’t have an alternate driver.
The AAA Tipsy Tow service is running in select areas between July 4 – 5, 2012. Availability and times that this service runs varies by state. Drunk drivers will be dropped off at only one home. If you have multiple people in your party, they will not be dropped at their personal residences. Please call your AAA office for details and only call the Tipsy Tow number (1-800-222-4537) if you truly need a ride and do not have a designated driver or call a cab.
- AAA Utah (statewide)
- AAA New Jersey Automobile Club (Morris, Essex and Union counties)
- AAA Northwest Ohio (available in Lucas, Fulton, Wood, Henry, Williams, Defiance, Paulding and Ottawa counties)
- AAA South Dakota (Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Mitchell and Yankton
- AAA Oklahoma (Metro Tulsa, Metro Oklahoma City, Shawnee, Bartlesville, Enid, Muskogee, Ardmore and Lawton )
- The Auto Club Group (Statewide in Florida and Georgia and in West and Middle Tennessee. Program is called “Tow-to-Go”
- AAA Arizona (statewide)
- AAA Northern California (in all club territories)
- AAA Nevada (statewide)
In South Dakota, rides are limited to a 15-mile radius of the pickup spot, while in Northern California the free ride is limited to 10 miles and you must go to your home. The program is called Tow-to-Go in Florida, Georgia, and parts of Tennessee and rules vary by state.
The availability of the AAA Tipsy Tow and Tow To Go services on the Fourth of July are subject to change. The program has been taken advantage of in the past and it’s best to use it only if you need it. Don’t drink and drive. Stay where you are if you cannot get a ride.