If you are planning a 4th of July party, it doesn’t have to be expensive. Bring on the red, white and blue at your Independence Day parties and cookouts without putting a strain on your budget. Simple decorations, inexpensive party food and a little creativity is all you need to enjoy a fun, summer celebration. Save money by using fireworks coupons or just stick to sparklers.
Make a list of people you are inviting so you can estimate how much food and party supplies you will need. You do not have to throw a fancy celebration. A simple party with good friends and family is always the best.
4th of July Food: Start planning now for your party instead of waiting for the last-minute. Cut coupons for food items like hot dogs, chips, beverages and condiments from the Sunday newspaper inserts and online coupon sites like Coupons.com. If there are advertised deals for food that is non-perishable or can be frozen, stock up now. As the 4th of July holiday nears, retail prices will go up.
Go potluck! Ask everyone to bring an item, whether it is a food item, paper cups or party supplies. Every little bit helps and most people are happy to bring along something to help out. Keep a list of what everyone is bringing so you don’t double up on anything.
Skip the chicken and steak if your budget is really tight this year. Buy hot dogs, hamburgers, buns, chips, watermelon, ice cream, beverages and some condiments. If it’s not too hot out, make a simple ice cream flag cake or make a sheet cake (yellow or white) and frost with white frosting. Add blueberries and strawberries for the stars and stripes. (continue reading below)
Cheap 4th of July Party Decorations and Supplies: Keep your budget in line by keeping the decorations and party supplies simple. Your local dollar store is a great source for party supplies that won’t break the budget. However, it is important to check to make sure you are purchasing full-sized items or the $1 price tag is not a good value.
If you have a large guest list, check out DollarDays.com. Similar to the Dollar Store retailers, you can buy patriotic decorations and party supplies in bulk at a significant discount.
Don’t have enough chairs for everyone? Ask everyone to bring a beach chair or lawn chair if they have one available.
Set a budget before you go to your local dollar store and make a list. Do not get side-tracked into buying more than you need just because it is “only a dollar”. Budget friendly items at your local dollar store that you will likely need for your 4th of July celebration are plastic utensils, paper cups, napkins, plates, balloons and balloon weights.
Dollar stores are also a great resource for foil pans used for baking/cooking, grill brushes and citronella candles. If you are having a pool party, you will also find seasonal items like pool “noodles”, children’s goggles and swim rings.
Need party music? Head to iTunes and make a patriotic playlist. Here are a few songs to get you started:
4th of July Decorating Ideas
- Blow up red, white and blue balloons and hang them around your deck, pool or other party area.
- Gather up some glass jars (clean spaghetti sauce and mayonnaise jars work well) and put a $1 votive candle inside each one. This is the perfect way to add a little ‘glow’ after the sun goes down. If you can find cheap citronella votives, that will help keep the bugs away!
- Stick a few $1 flags (find them at the Dollar Store or Walmart) around your walkway or in plant pots on your front steps or on the deck.
- If you have strings of red, white and/or blue Christmas lights, get them out and string them around your deck.
- If you are covering tables, use plain white table cloths. Add a little color by sprinkling red, white and blue confetti on the tables. Use white plates, red/blue napkins and decorate around the table with streamers.
If you need more inspiration, check out the 4th of July party ideas and recipes on Pinterest here.