Celebrate National Creamsicle Day 2011 on Sunday, August 14. Enjoy a Popsicle brand Creamsicle or enjoy a homemade treat using the recipes below to make Trader Joe’s Creamsicle Smoothies, Creamsicle Ice Cream Pie, Duncan Hines Dreamsicle Cake or a Creamsicle Martini.
While most people think of a Creamsicle as a frozen treat on a stick with a vanilla ice cream center covered in orange flavored ice, the Popsicle brand makes them in blue raspberry, lime, grape and cherry flavor.
Some have called this magnificent combination of popsicle and ice cream a “50-50 bar” while others call it a ‘dreamsicle’. The brand name is actually ’Creamsicle’, and the word ‘Popsicle’ is a trademark held by the Unilever Company. Whatever you call it, it’s delicious and the perfect summertime treat.
See recipes below. Need coupons for Popsicle brand products? Sign up here for email updates and special offers.
Try these recipes for a Creamsicle Day celebration:
Trader Joe’s Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
- 1 cup Vanilla Nonfat Yogurt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups frozen Mango Chunks (or use 1 cup frozen Mango Chunks + 1 cup ice)
- 1 tsp vanilla
Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and garnish with an orange slice.
Duncan Hines Dreamsicle Orange Cake Recipe
- 1 box Duncan Hines Orange Supreme cake mix
- 2 small pkg. orange Jell-O
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 oz.) sour cream
- 1 (8 oz.) Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. orange extract
- Mix cake, Jell-O, milk, eggs, oil as directed on cake mix box.
- Bake as directed, using 2, 9-inch cake pans.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Mix sugar and orange juice until sugar dissolves. Add orange extract.
- Mix in sour cream, fold in Cool Whip. Should be a thick mixture.
- Cut each cake in half, (total of 4 pieces). Spread frosting on each cake, stack on top, spread over top and on sides.
Orange Creamsicle Frozen Cocktail
- 2 scoops vanilla Ice Cream
- 6 oz Orange juice
- 6 oz Triple sec
- 6 oz Vodka
Put all of the ingredients in and blender and blend at high-speed until smooth, about 30 seconds. Serve with straw in a large martini glass and garnish with an orange slice.